AAEM/RSA Board Positions
All candidates for a position on the board of directors should plan on participating in regular conference calls which last approximately one hour. Three in-person board meetings will be scheduled as well, one at the SAEM meeting, one during ACEP, and one at the Annual AAEM Scientific Assembly in the year following board appointment. Funding is provided for these in-person meetings.
- President – Responsible for running the AAEM/RSA board of directors and serves a dual role as a member of the main AAEM board of directors.
- Vice President – Assists the president in running the board of directors and coordinates the RSA Representative Council. Help promote our mission by increasing AAEM/RSA membership through recruiting, developing valuable member benefits, and communicating with residency program directors.
- Secretary-Treasurer – Oversees the finances of AAEM/RSA and maintains the budget.
- At-Large board members (six (6) positions) – Anyone running for an at-large position will participate on the board of directors and act as the board liaison to one of the committees listed below. Assignments will be determined by the president. All efforts will be made to ensure that you are assigned to a role you wish to fulfill:
- Advocacy Committee – Works on state and national advocacy issues, develops policy statements, communicates with AAEM/RSA members about critical issues in emergency medicine, and interacts with the AAEM Government Affairs Committee.
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee – Committee members will work with the AAEM Diversity and Inclusion Committee to plan and execute the Resident and Student Track at the annual ACMT meeting, outreach to underserved medical schools, and create resources for minority residents and students in emergency medicine.
- Education Committee – Plans and organizes the resident educational session at the AAEM Scientific Assembly and assists with the medical student symposia that occur around the country.
- International Committee – Contributes to projects and resource development that will give students and residents opportunities to contribute to international medicine.
- Wellness Committee – Focuses on resident and student wellness initiatives including taking on new initiatives like creating a wellness curriculum, identifying the unwell resident and/or student, and liaising with the AAEM Wellness Committee to create wellness programming at the annual Scientific Assembly.
- Social Media Committee – Members contribute to the development and content of RSA's four primary media outlets: the RSA Blog Modern Resident, the AAEM/RSA website, Facebook and Twitter. The committee also oversees development and revisions of AAEM/RSA's multiple publications including clinical handbooks and board review materials.
You must be an AAEM/RSA paid member to run for the board and to vote. Up to two residents from the same program can serve on the board of directors at the same time; however, only one resident from the program can serve as an officer (president, vice president, secretary-treasurer).
Please contact the AAEM/RSA office at email@example.com if you have any questions about the election process.
Learn more about AAEM/RSA Resident elections.
Medical Student Council Positions
The medical student council enhances AAEM/RSA's services to students and expands the medical student leadership to coordinate student initiatives, regional activities and recruitment.
The medical student council is composed of seven members which includes the president, vice president, four regional representatives and one international ex-officio member. AAEM/RSA's paid student members will elect the leadership and develop their own initiatives and services under the direction of AAEM/RSA. The medical student council holds regularly scheduled meetings by conference call.
- President – Participates in regular conference calls with the RSA board of directors which last approximately one hour. Three in-person board meetings will be scheduled as well, one at the SAEM meeting, one during ACEP, and one at the Annual AAEM Scientific Assembly in the year following board appointment. Funding is provided for these in-person meetings.
- Vice President – Assists the president in running the medical student council and oversees maintenance of student benefits.
- Regional Representatives: West, Midwest, South, Northeast (distribution of states listed below) - within their region, the representative coordinates AAEM/RSA student initiatives, works with RSA Vice President to communicate with medical student liaisons at each school in their region, manages Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG) listings and manages EM Select residency information.
- International Member – This is an ex-officio non-voting medical student council position. This council representative is responsible for representing the needs of international AAEM/RSA student members.
West - CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ, NM, UT, CO, ID, MT, WY, AL, TX, ND, SD, NE and HI
Midwest - KS, OK, MN, IA, MO, AR, LA, WI, IL, IN, OH and MI
Northeast - NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME and D.C.
South - KY, WV, VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, FL and P.R.
Learn more about Medical Student Council Elections.