Travel to Capitol Hill: Meet Representatives & Discuss Policy Issues
June 5, 2017
NEW: AAEM Health Policy in Emergency Medicine (HPEM) Symposium
Are you new to advocacy efforts on the Hill? Want to get your feet wet, or refresh your knowledge about health policy and advocacy?
Join AAEM & AAEM/RSA in a day of learning about health policy and political advocacy at HPEM!
- Get an introduction to the advocacy process. No prior hill experience necessary — just knowledge of caring for patients and a passion for improving the health care system!
- Get hands-on experience in the congressional process and what affects you as an emergency provider.
- Hear from exciting speakers who advocate for your rights on the Hill.
- Network and spend time with fellow AAEM and AAEM/RSA members throughout the day.
Registration is now closed.
Follow AAEM and AAEM/RSA on social media for updates throughout the event!
June 6, 2017
AAEM & AAEM/RSA Advocacy Day
Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill!
Take your knowledge from HPEM symposium directly to the Hill to advocate for yourself and your patients! Join us for targeted meetings with Congressional Leaders to discuss issues of importance to emergency physicians.
What can I expect?
- Expect to meet with Members of Congress and/or senior Congressional staff that are relevant to health care policy
- Expect to meet primarily with relevant offices in your home State’s Congressional delegation (House and Senate)
- You will be provided a schedule on the morning of the fly-in that lists the Members and staff you will be meeting with, their biographies, etc.
- Before you arrive in DC, you will be provided talking points and issues to raise during the meetings
- You will have an opportunity to ask questions about the meetings and materials and receive a briefing on lobbying “dos and don’ts” at the breakfast the day of the fly-in
- You will be placed in a small group with several other fly-in participants and accompanied by a guide from Williams & Jensen, that will know their way around the Hill and take you from meeting to meeting, and will carry handouts from AAEM to leave behind at offices
- You will have lunch with a Member of Congress relevant to emergency medicine and health care policy
- You will have further opportunities to network and spend time with fellow AAEM and AAEM/RSA members throughout the day and during the debrief on Capitol Hill immediately following the day’s meetings
Symposium and Advocacy Day attendees must make individual travel arrangements. Below are some hotel options for you to consider when making your travel arrangements to attend. The prices may change, so please check the link for current pricing information.
Courtyard Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
2700 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia
Subway Station: Eisenhower Avenue Metro Station Yellow Line 0.6 miles
Hampton Inn & Suites Reagan National Airport
2000 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia
3 blocks from Metro
The Westin Alexandria
400 Courthouse Square Alexandria, Virginia
King Street Subway Station
Crystal Gateway Marriott
1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia
Metro station in lobby
700 F Street, NW, Washington, D.C.
Directly across the street from Williams & Jensen offices
Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport
1999 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA
Subway Station: Crystal City Blue and Yellow Lines 0.1 miles
Looking for more ways to be involved?
Learn more about the AAEM/RSA Policy and Advocacy Congressional Elective.