Midwest Medical Student Symposium
7th Annual Midwest MSS
September 26th, 2015 | 7:30am-3:30pm
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Maywood, Illinois (Chicago suburb)
The AAEM Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA) will be holding its annual Midwest Medical Student Symposium (Midwest MSS) on September 26, 2015 from 8:00am–3:30pm. It will be held at the Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine in Maywood, Illinois (Chicago suburb).
The content of the symposium will be specifically designed for all levels of medical students, from M1-M4. There are many things to look forward to, including: “Why is EM right for you?,” “How to Match in EM,” “Truths and Myths about the Interview,” Program Director/Residency Panel and Residency Fair, Mentor-Student lunch, Ultrasound and Intubation Workshops and more!
Last year, this symposium registered over 150 students — be sure to register early so that you don’t miss out on this very popular event! This year, the symposium date will precede the ERAS application deadline, so you will have the invaluable opportunity to meet program directors face to face.
For those students who require travel, we have negotiated a great deal with the Hampton Inn located at:
2222 Enterprise Drive, Westchester, Illinois, USA 60154 | Tel: 1-708-409-1000.
This hotel is within a few miles of Loyola. There is a special discounted rate of $96.00/night plus tax. Just make sure to tell them you are with "Loyola" when you book your reservation.
Saturday, September 26th, 2015
7:30-8:00 Registration and Networking Breakfast, Lobby
8:00-8:15 Welcome & Opening Remarks - Dr. Mark Reiter, AAEM President, Tobin Hall, Room 190
8:15-8:30 AAEM/RSA - Dr. Victoria Weston, AAEM/RSA President, Tobin Hall, Room 190
8:30-8:50 Why is EM Right for You? - Dr. Laura Hopson, University of Michigan, Tobin Hall, Room 190
8:50-9:10 EM Competitiveness - Dr. Mary Westergaard, University of Wisconsin, Tobin Hall, Room 190
9:10-9:30 What You Need to Think About After The Match But Before July 1st- Dr. Keith Wrenn, Vanderbilt University, Tobin Hall, Room 190
9:30-9:50 TBD - Dr. Chrissy Babcock, University of Chicago, Tobin Hall Room 190
10:10-10:40: Class-specific lectures
M1/M2: How to Match in EM – Dr. Kevin Rodgers, Indiana University, Room 460
M3: How to Shine on your Clerkships – Dr. Scott Heinrich, University of Illinois, Room 360
M4: Truths and Myths About the Interview – Dr. Michael Gisondi, Northwestern University, Room 160
10:40-11:30 Residency Program Panel
M1/M2 Panel, Room 460
M3 Panel, Room 360
M4 Panel, Room 160
- Dr. Mark Reiter, University of Tennessee-Murfreesboro
- Dr. Michael Schindlbeck, Cook County
- Dr. Michael Takacs, University of Iowa
- Dr. Jason Wagner, Washington University
- Dr. Alicia Pilarski, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Dr. Keith Wreen, Vanderbilt University
- Dr. Michael Gisondi, Northwestern University
- Dr. Scott Heinrich, University of Illinois (UIC) - Chicago
- Dr. Kevin Rodgers, Indiana University
- Dr. Laura Hopson, University of Michigan
- Dr. Dan Girzadas, Advocate Christ
- Dr. Christine Babcock, University of Chicago
- Dr. Chris McDowell, Southern Illinois University
- Dr. Philip Pazderka, Western Michigan University
- Dr. Mary Westergaard, University of Wisconsin
11:30-12:10 Mentor-Student Lunch, Cafeteria (1st Floor)
12:15-1:10 Residency Fair, Atrium (2nd Floor)
1:10 - 1:30 Break
1:30-2:15 Breakout Session 1:
Airway/Intubation - Resurrection Residents, Nursing Bldg Room 3524 & 3525
Ultrasound - University of Chicago Residents, lecture in Room 375, Hands on portion in Nursing Bldg Sim Bay 1 (3512) and Sim Bay 4 (3546)
Tactical Medicine - Dr. Brian Springer, Write State, Room 460
Wilderness Medicine - Dr. Jay Sharp, Resurrection Medical Center, Room 360
Simulation (M3/M4 only) - Loyola's Dr. Trent Reed and Advocate Christ Residents, Nursing Bldg Sim Bays 2 (3525), 3 (3533) & 6 (3522)
2:30-3:15 Breakout Session 2: Same options as breakout session 1
The dress code for the Midwest Medical Student Symposium is business casual.
* On occasion, an AAEM/RSA photographer may take photos at the Midwest Medical Student Symposium of attendees who are participating in sessions and/or activities. Please be aware that these photos are for AAEM/RSA’s use only and may appear in AAEM/RSA symposia brochures, programs, publications, the AAEM/RSA Website, Social Media or other AAEM/RSA materials. Your attendance at the course constitutes your permission and consent for this photography.
Refund Policy for AAEM/RSA Events
Refund requests must be submitted in writing one month prior to the event. A $50 processing fee will be charged for all cancellations. All refunds will be processed after the event. No refunds will be granted if cancellation is received less than one month prior to the event. Special considerations will be given for health or family emergencies if requested in writing no later than 15 days after the last day of the meeting.
View the 2014 symposium agenda.
View the 2013 symposium agenda.