WestJEM Section Editor
The Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health (WestJEM) is very excited to be distributing our electronic full text issue to AAEM/RSA members. We would like to further strengthen our affiliation by proposing to offer an AAEM/RSA resident member a position as a WestJEM section editor or editorial board member.
- Potential section editors must be well published and agree to a 2 year commitment with options to extend. WestJEM section editors are expected to peer review 3-5 manuscripts within a year, but this number may be more or less depending on the submission types. Editors should also be willing to serve as a reviewer for select articles.
- WestJEM editors are expected to attend the State of the Journal editor board meeting at the American College of Emergency Physician (ACEP), usually around September/October, and the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM), usually around May/June. Editors would be expected to call in to bi-weekly senior editor meetings as well as work with AAEM/RSA on appropriate resident and faculty submissions to the Journal.
Answers provided by Dr. Michael Gottlieb, former AAEM/RSA Resident Section Editor for WestJEM
1. What are the main responsibilities and duties?
- In this position, the resident will serve as a general section editor.
- Dr. Mark Langdorf, the Editor-in-Chief, will provide you with an article that you will then send out for reviews to 2-3 reviewers.
- Once the reviewers come back, approximately 2 weeks later, you synthesize the reviews and add your own additional commentary within 1-2 weeks.
- You will then suggest whether the article should be accepted, sent back for revisions, or rejected. The final call is made by Dr. Langdorf.
2. What is a rough time commitment per week / month?
- The time commitment varies somewhat depending upon your availability, but at a minimum, the resident would be expected to complete an average of 1-2 reviews per month.
- Each one takes about 2-3 hours to complete, though the first few may take longer.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying - send your CV and letter of interest to our editorial office at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about the Journal can be found on the WestJEMwebsite at westjem.com. All applicants must be AAEM/RSA resident members to be eligible for this position.
"It was a phenomenal experience. From a research standpoint, I learned a lot and was able to improve my research skills and learn to avoid many of the major pitfalls. I also had the opportunity to meet and work with a number of leaders in the field. At the end of the year, I was fortunate to have been selected as ‘Section Editor of the Year’ and was promoted to be one of the Section Editors for Medical Education. While this is definitely not something you have to do, I am really grateful to have had the opportunity to do this."
-- Michael Gottlieb, MD
Former AAEM/RSA Vice President
Emergency Ultrasound Director
Rush Medical College