General Election Info
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA) has numerous opportunities for you to become more involved in our organization. You must be an AAEM/RSA paid member to run for the board and to vote. Up to two residents from the same program can serve on the board of directors at the same time; however, only one resident from the program can serve as an officer (president, vice president, secretary-treasurer).
Please contact the AAEM/RSA office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the election process.
2017-2018 Resident Election Nominations
All candidates for a position on the board of directors should plan on participating in monthly conference calls which last approximately one hour. Three in-person board meetings will be scheduled as well, one at the SAEM meeting, one at the AAEM offices, and one at the Annual AAEM Scientific Assembly in the year following board appointment. Funding is provided for these in-person meetings.
Nominations Now Closed
Voting Information Coming Soon
Below is a list of positions on the AAEM/RSA board of directors with a brief description of duties following each position.
- President - responsible for running the AAEM/RSA board of directors and serves a dual role as a member of the main AAEM board of directors.
- Vice President - assists the president in running the board of directors and coordinates the RSA Representative Council. Help promote our mission by increasing AAEM/RSA membership through recruiting, developing valuable member benefits, and communicating with residency program directors.
- Secretary-Treasurer - manages the finances of AAEM/RSA and maintains the budget.
- At-Large board members (six (6) positions) - Anyone running for an at-large position will participate on the board of directors and act as the board liaison to one of the committees listed below. Assignments will be determined by the president. All efforts will be made to ensure that you are assigned to a role you wish to fulfill:
- Advocacy Committee - Works on state and national advocacy issues, develops policy statements, communicates with AAEM/RSA members about critical issues in emergency medicine, and interacts with the AAEM Government Affairs Committee.
- Education Committee - Plans and organizes the resident educational session at the AAEM Scientific Assembly and assists with the medical student symposia that occur around the country.
- International Committee - Contributes to projects and resource development that will give students and residents opportunities to contribute to international medicine.
- Wellness Committee – Focuses on resident and student wellness initiatives including taking on new initiatives like creating a wellness curriculum, identifying the unwell resident and/or student, and liaising with the AAEM Wellness Committee to create wellness programming at the annual Scientific Assembly.
- Social Media Committee - Members contribute to the development and content of RSA's four primary media outlets: the RSA Blog Modern Resident, the AAEM/RSA website, Facebook and Twitter. The committee also oversees development and revisions of AAEM/RSA's multiple publications including clinical handbooks and board review materials.