Travel to Capitol Hill: Meet Representatives & Discuss Policy Issues
Registration will open spring 2019.
Registration Rate: FREE for AAEM members who are U.S. Citizens
Follow AAEM and AAEM/RSA on social media for updates leading up to and throughout the event!
Washington Court Hotel
525 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
June 5, 2019
AAEM Health Policy in Emergency Medicine (HPEM) Symposium
Are you new to advocacy efforts on the Hill? Want to get your feet wet, or refresh your knowledge about health policy and advocacy?
Join AAEM & AAEM/RSA in a day of learning about health policy and political advocacy at HPEM!
- Get an introduction to the advocacy process. No prior hill experience necessary — just knowledge of caring for patients and a passion for improving the health care system!
- Get hands-on experience in the congressional process and what affects you as an emergency provider.
- Hear from exciting speakers who advocate for your rights on the Hill.
- Network and spend time with fellow AAEM and AAEM/RSA members throughout the day.
Topics and Schedule Coming Soon
June 6, 2019
AAEM & AAEM/RSA Advocacy Day
Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill
Take your knowledge from HPEM symposium directly to the Hill to advocate for yourself and your patients! Join us for targeted meetings with Congressional Leaders to discuss issues of importance to emergency physicians.
What can I expect?
- Expect to meet with Members of Congress and/or senior Congressional staff that are relevant to health care policy
- Expect to meet primarily with relevant offices in your home State’s Congressional delegation (House and Senate)
- You will be provided a schedule on the morning of the fly-in that lists the Members and staff you will be meeting with, their biographies, etc.
- Before you arrive in DC, you will be provided talking points and issues to raise during the meetings
- You will have an opportunity to ask questions about the meetings and materials and receive a briefing on lobbying “dos and don’ts” at the breakfast the day of the fly-in
- You will be placed in a small group with several other fly-in participants and accompanied by a guide from Williams & Jensen, that will know their way around the Hill and take you from meeting to meeting, and will carry handouts from AAEM to leave behind at offices
- You will have lunch with a Member of Congress relevant to emergency medicine and health care policy
- You will have further opportunities to network and spend time with fellow AAEM and AAEM/RSA members throughout the day and during the debrief on Capitol Hill immediately following the day’s meetings
Looking for more ways to be involved?
Learn more about the AAEM/RSA Policy and Advocacy Congressional Elective.
Check out the work of the AAEM/RSA Advocacy Committee, including videos, articles, and podcasts.
Listen to the AAEM Legal & Policy Issues in Emergency Medicine: Policy Prescriptions® edition podcast on the Congressional Elective and AAEM and AAEM/RSA advocacy efforts.